Water Leaks Around the Home: During winter at the majority of our work comes from leaks within the home and the water damage they make.
How Can You Tell If Water Is Leaking?
As a home or rental property owner, it is important to deal with leaks fast before the damage builds up. Usually, depending on the source of the leak there are signs.
Signs You Have a Leak:
- A large water bill, can indicate issues with your plumbing
- Noises from your pipes could be a sign that your pipes are loose
- Unpleasant odor, can be caused by a clogged pipe or broken sewer
- Damp walls or ceilings and floors could be a sign of roof leaks, leaking pipes or bathwater
- Poor water pressure may be an indication that you have a leak before the tapware
- Poor water quality can be caused by degraded pipes or a leak
- Overflowing gutters, can cause excess water to seep in through the roof or the walls
How to Check for a Leak:
A simple way to check for leaks is to turn off all appliances and taps inside and outside your home and then check if your water meter is moving. You could also take the meter reading before you leave the house after switching all water off and check again a couple of hours later. A check like this will give you an indication of a slower less obvious leak.
How to Prevent a Leak:
There are some simple things you can do to avoid some of these from happening:
- Empty your shower trap regularly because the buildup of debris can loosen the pipes which will overflow into surrounding areas
- Have your gutters and downpipes regularly cleaned especially if you have internal fascia
- Clear your drains in the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry regularly by using an over the counter drain cleaner, or try a natural remedy like baking soda and vinegar
- It’s worth maintaining your roof every couple of years if it’s iron and checking it after storms, particularly check for leaks in your roof space after a storm
Do you have a query about a water leak? Give us a call or send us a message. At Maintain to profit South East Auckland we are only too happy to help and advise.
This is a photograph from one of our jobs. Unfortunately, the source of the leak was in the plumbing behind the bath and it was undetected for quite some time. This would have easily been noticed by applying our checks, doing so would have saved the owners on the cost and extent of the repair work.